Monday, July 23, 2007

Speaking of Pronger...


"Chris Pronger, I didn't know whether he would be able to play in the "new NHL." He used his stick a lot. He doesn't use his stick anymore, because he would be penalized. He adjusted to the new stick rules, but he's hit two guys pretty hard."

- Scotty Bowman during the 2007 Stanley Cup Final


Let me translate:
"Pronger has stopped using his stick and started using his elbows."

Actually, I dare not try to interpret the greatest coach of all time. Look at Pronger's list of suspensions and decide for yourself.

My biggest problem with Pronger is everyone thinks he's "tough". He's not. He's chippy, particularly when caught out of position. And that's something that happens to the immobile defenseman more in the new NHL.

Don't get me wrong, with his reach, shot from the point and veteran leadership, who wouldn't want Prongs on their blueline? (Answer: bitter Oilers fans) But I'd vote for Rory Fitzpatrick before him.

OK, maybe that's a tad bit of an exaggeration, but I'm no Scotty Bowman.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Pronger? I think my doctor used that once. All the tests were negative.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home