Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rangers Watch: NYR 3, BOS 4 (SO) ...and adieu for now

"I've been saying this for awhile," said Sean Avery. "We need to look at ourselves in the mirror ... Outside of three or four guys, we've all got to be better. I've got to be better. Our line's got to be better. I saw urgency and intensity at the end of last season, but I don't see it now. I wish I could tell you something else."

- Newsday

Amen to that. I'm going to retire the Rangers Watch until the team gives me cause to write something new. I feel for the beat guys who have to come up with new and different ways to the same thing: the Rangers are a crappy team stocked with top-shelf talent. At least in 2003 I didn't kid myself that the Rangers had a chance.

Pardon me if I sound a bit bitter, but the the shear disappoint of the season is finally catching up with me. Today's game was the first of a possible eight points against Boston and Atlanta, two of the teams New York is trying to fend off for the last playoff spot. It gave me little consolation that the Blueshirts walked away with a point. It was just as important they keep the Bruins from adding to their point total. Instead it was a bunch of the same old. And I hate to say it, Sean, but it's not just your teammates who lack urgency and intensity. It's the coaching staff as well.

So, that's it for Rangers Watch for now. I'm still rooting for the good guys, but I have better things to do with my time than chronicle an underachieving season.

Recaps: Y!/AP, TSN Broadband

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home